141 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health
The following list was contributed by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D.
She is also the author of the book "Lick The Sugar Habit". In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may result in a number of other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and other scientific publications.
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar produces significant triglyceride rise.
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection.
6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function; the more sugar the more elasticity you lose.
7. Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
9. Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.
10. Sugar increases fasting levels of blood glucose.
11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
13. Sugar may make eyes more vulnerable to age-related macular degeneration.
14. Sugar raises the level of neurotransmitters: dopamine, seratonin and norepinephrine.
15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
16. Sugar produces an acidic digestive tract.
17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
19. Sugar can cause premature aging.
20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.
22. Sugar contributes to obesity.
23. Sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in people with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
25. Sugar can cause arthritis.
26. Sugar can cause asthma.
27. Sugar assists uncontrolled yeast growth.
28. Sugar can cause gallstones.
29. Sugar can cause heart disease.
30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
31. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
32. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
33. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
34. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
35. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
36. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
37. Sugar causes insulin sensitivity decrease.
38. Sugar can lower Vitamin E in the blood.
39. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
40. Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
41. Sugar can increase blood pressure.
42. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs).
43. Sugar can interfere with protein absorption.
44. Sugar causes food allergies.
45. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
46. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
47. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
48. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
49. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA.
50. Sugar can change structure of protein.
51. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
52. Sugar can cause cataracts.
53. Sugar can cause emphysema.
54. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
55. Sugar can promote an elevation of LDL's.
56. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many body systems.
57. Sugar lowers our enzymatic function.
58. High sugar intake is linked with Parkinson's.
59. Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
60. Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
61. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
62. Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
63. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
64. Sugar is enemy #1 of bowel movement.
65. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
66. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
67. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.
68. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
69. Sugar has a role in female pancreatic cancer.
70. Sugar can cause learning disorders.
71. Sugar can cause depression.
72. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.
73. Sugar can cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
74. Sugar can increase risk of getting gout.
75. Sugar can increase levels of glucose over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.
76. Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
77. Refined sugar reduces learning capacity.
78. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of blood proteins (albumin and lipoproteins) reducing our ability to handle fat and cholesterol.
79. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimers Disease.
80. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.
81. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some become underactive, others become overactive.
82. Sugar leads to kidney stone formation.
83. Sugar causes free radicals, oxidative stress.
84. High sugar diet leads to biliary tract cancer.
85. High sugar consumption by pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.
86. High sugar leads to substantial decrease in gestation duration of adolescents.
87. Sugar slows foods travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.
88. Sugar increases concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in colon, producing cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.
89. Sugar increases estradiol (estrogen) in men.
90. Sugar combines with and destroys phosphatase, making digestion more difficult.
91. Sugar is risk factor in gallbladder cancer.
92. Sugar is an addictive substance.
93. Sugar can be intoxicating, like alcohol.
94. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.
95. Sugar given to premature babies affects the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.
96. Decrease sugar to increase emotional stability.
97. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.
98. Sugar can worsen symptoms of ADHD.
99. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.
100. Sugar slows the ability of the adrenals.
101. I.V's (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.
102. High sucrose risk factor in lung cancer.
103. Sugar increases the risk of polio.
104. High sugar can cause epileptic seizures.
105. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese.
106. In ICU limiting sugar saves lives.
107. Sugar may induce cell death.
108. Sugar increases amount of food that you eat.
109. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.
110. Sugar can lead to prostate cancer.
111. Sugar dehydrates newborns.
112. Sugar causes low birth weight babies.
113. Greater consumption of sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia.
114. Sugar raises homocysteine levels in blood.
115. Sweet foods increase breast cancer risk.
116. Sugar increases small intestine cancer.
117. Sugar may cause laryngeal cancer.
118. Sugar induces salt and water retention.
119. Sugar contributes to mild memory loss.
120. One tablespoon of sugar does the same amount of damage in the blood as if you smoked two packs of cigarettes.
121. If sugar were new and presented to the FDA today it would have to be classified as a drug based on how addictive it is and what it does to the body.
122. Exposing a newborn to sugar results in heightened preference for sucrose relative to water.
123. Sugar causes constipation.
124. Sugar causes varicose veins.
125. Sugar can cause brain decay in prediabetic and diabetic women.
126. Sugar can increase risk of stomach cancer.
127. Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome.
128. Sugar ingestion by pregnant women increases neural tube defects in embryos.
129. Sugar can be a factor in asthma.
130. The higher the sugar consumption the more chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.
131. Sugar can affect the brain's ability to deal with rewards and consequences.
132. Sugar can cause cancer of the rectum.
133. Sugar can cause endometrial cancer.
134. Sugar can cause renal cell carcinoma.
135. Sugar can cause liver tumors.
136. Sugar can increase inflammatory markers in the blood stream of overweight people.
137. Sugar plays a role in continuation of acne.
138. Too much sugar can kill your sex life.
139. Sugar saps school performance in children.
140. Sugar can cause fatigue, moodiness and nervousness.
141. Sugar adds to the risk of bladder cancer.
Sugar is a major contributor to the silent epidemic.
Candida is a fungus that is normally harmless. It resides in the digestive tract and in small amounts is part of our intestinal ecology. Fungi in the correct balance are helpful in digestion and the breakdown of vitamins and enzymes. When Candida overgrows is when problems can happen. Overgrowth of Candida becomes parasitic which can cause chronic inflammation contributing to degenerative disease and multiple health problems.
It is estimated that 80% of all Americans suffer with chronic Candida with women being eight times more likely to have Candida overgrowth. What causes Candida overgrowth? When our immune system is not working like it should then Candida can grow out of control. This can happen from exposure to heavy metals, internal toxins from poor digestion, and stress. If you have a Candida problem the Candida can be consuming your nutrients leaving toxins in their place.
Probiotics are critical for good intestinal health and to control Candida. A second cause of overgrowth of Candida is a reduction in the good bacteria in the digestive tract. What can cause this? When you consume refined carbohydrates, alcohol and caffeine your good bacteria take serious hits. Sugar is a big problem for the good bacteria in our intestines so you really want to limit your intake. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria along with the bad so if you take antibiotics you want to make sure to increase your level of probiotics. Mercury fillings produce an antibiotic effect.
The third main reason for Candida overgrowth is an upset in the pH of the intestines. When the pH is out of balance, either too alkaline or too acid, Candida can grow out of control. Acid blocking medications can contribute to the overgrowth as well as a lack of digestive enzymes. Processed foods as well as meat and dairy are highly acidic.
Some of the symptoms of Candida include: anxiety, depression, emotional problems, irrational fears, panic, quick anger, irritability, sleep disturbance, hyperactivity, low self-esteem, asthma, coughs, sinus problems, sore throat, thrush, bad breath, constipation, bloating, diarrhea, gas, gastritis, heartburn, indigestion, intestinal pain, nausea, food cravings, food sensitivities, hypoglycemia, colic, acne, eczema, psoriasis, skin infections, hives, rash, athlete's foot, fingernail and toenail fungus, dandruff, confusion, trouble concentrating, brain fog, memory loss or poor memory, headaches or migraines, PMS, cramps, sexual problems, vaginal yeast infections, cystitis, puffiness, infertility, allergies, chemical sensitivities, chronic fatigue, sore muscles, stiffness, swollen joints, gout, and weight gain. Just look at all of those symptoms! Now if you go to the typical doctor what will he do? He will prescribe some kind of drug when all you need to do is to address the problem of Candida overgrowth!
Chronic inflammation is the main cause in so many health problems. Candida releases toxins into the bloodstream which causes chronic inflammation. These toxins affect the central nervous system as well as interfere with hormone metabolism. What are some inflammatory diseases? How about cancer, cardiovascular, Alzheimer's, pulmonary, Arthritis, autoimmune disease, neurological, and Diabetes. Can you see how simply controlling Candida could help so many people?
So what can each of us do. Each person is responsible for their own health. No doctor, test or insurance company will give you good health. The first thing to do is to control your diet. Eat mainly organic food and a majority in the raw state. Really limit your intake of processed foods.
The next step is to use the right supplementation. With Young Living we have some fantastic products that can help your digestive system. You want to be using Life 5 which is the very best probiotic on the market. You want to be using OmegaGize which is a fantastic essential fatty acid supplement which also has vitamin D and Co-enzyme Q10. You want to be using our enzymes of Essentialzyme, Essentialzyme-4 and Detoxzyme. As we get older our body produces less enzymes so it is critical to supplement with enzymes. You want to make sure that you are getting plenty of fiber. We have a fantastic meal replacement called Balance Complete which has 11 grams of fiber in each serving and tastes great.
The last component is to regularly be doing internal cleansing. We live in a toxic world so it is critical to good health to be doing cleanses all of the time. I recommend doing a cleanse every month starting with a colon cleanse using our Cleansing Trio. We have fantastic products that can help you in the cleansing of different organs.
I encourage you to start taking action today. You just might be surprised at how good you feel when you simply take the health of your digestive tract seriously so that you won't have to worry about the quiet epidemic that is Candida overgrowth. You can find out more about the best product line in wellness at: http://www.thisworks.biz